Thursday, September 17, 2009

Post #3

I think that incorporating technology into the lesson plan is a great way to help students become more familiar with computers as well as learn the material. A lesson plan that I might create that uses technology would be one that I was using for a History class for 5th or 6th grade. I would have the children pick a certain event in history that happened during the time period that we were studying. They could use the computers to help research the important events of the time. Once they pick the event, they will research all the important people involved, as well as other important aspects of it using the computers for the internet, different websites and online encyclopedias. Once they have researched everything, they will put all of their information into a PowerPoint presentation and then present it to the class. I believe that this will be a great lesson for the class because they will be learning the subject matter, using various applications on the computer, such as internet and PowerPoint, and they are also teaching what they learned to the class.
The only concerns that I have about being a teacher who supervises students in a technology environment is that they will start playing around with applications and things on the computer that they are not supposed to. I think the Elementary grade levels are the ages that this would most likely happen with because their minds get easily distracted. For example, if I was a teacher that was supervising an Elementary technology environment, teaching them how to research on the internet, I think that the students would be really tempted to visit websites they are not supposed to and do things on the computer that do not pertain to the class.
I came across a really interesting web-based teaching tool called “Teacher Tube.” Teacher Tube is just like You Tube except it is geared directly for teachers and it has only education videos posted on it. You can search the subject matter you are looking for, and it will give you a variation of results. I think this is really helpful while teaching because it acts as an aide. For example, if your students don’t understand what you are teaching them completely, you can search a video that relates to your lesson, and then play a brief video for them to help them understand. What’s also good about Teacher Tube is that you don’t have to worry about the video being inappropriate because all the videos posted are for educational use. The website link is http://www.teachertube.com/.

5 comments:

  1. I like the website you chose. I hadn't heard of teacher tube before and I can see it's application in the classroom. That is a great tool because I know some schools block You Tube from their school computers, which is unfortunate when you're trying to use it as a teaching tool, but that should solve that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of not only teaching them how to do research on the internet but also how to teach them about using Power Point. This will definitely help them later on in school with any projects or things of that nature that they may have. I have never heard of the "Teacher Tube" before, it sounds pretty neat and I'll definitely have to check that out and will probably use that in my classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using powerpoint presentations to teach kids. They're a great way of providing something visual and keep the class room lesson more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found what you said about the distracted students to be very true when I worked with the youth this summer. When younger kids have access to new technologies they tend to want to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the website you chose! I think it would be great for a classroom because some children are visual learners and like to see the information. I had never heard of "Teacher Tube" before, but I'm really glad you posted it! =)

    ReplyDelete