Monday, September 28, 2009

Post #4

As a teacher, I think that I will definitely introduce the concepts of outlines and idea maps to my students. I think that both of these concepts are great ways to help the students to learn new material. Outlines and idea maps would be helpful tools to understand a big topic by breaking down into steps. I would have my students use Microsoft Word on the computer to create these maps and outlines.

Also, as a teacher I do not think that I would require my students to develop outlines, idea maps, and storyboards because every student has a different way of learning and comprehending information, but I definitely think that I would encourage them to. Making outlines and idea maps help break down a big concept into smaller parts, which help learn things better. The students would be able to see how each part of the concept was connected. I think this would particularly help the visual learners.

I learned a great amount of new skills within the last week that I think will be especially useful to me in my educational career. In class, we learned a lot about how to make sure websites are authoritative, accurate and current. We also learned how to make sure that the website is accessible. All of these tips are especially useful when looking for websites to help your students because then as a teacher, you can make sure that your students will be able to access all the information on the site. Also, in class we learned how to correctly google information. This was helpful because then when you are researching things for your lessons, you can get scholarly websites and articles and also, you can research power points that you can use for your lessons etc.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you found what we learned last week useful. :) Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the "scholar" option for Google as well. I didn't know something like that was available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your idea of not "requiring" your students complete story boards, outlines, and maps, but simply "encouraging" them. I really believe story boards, outlines, and maps are an effective way to learning, however if you made it a requirement students wouldn't feel as if these techniques were helping them instead they would feel like it's a waste of time because they're "required" to complete them. If these tools were viewed as simply aids to writing, more students would take advantage because who doesn't want an aid in writing? I too think checking website accessibility is important as a teacher. If a teacher picked a random website to teach their lesson, the information they're passing on to their students may not be accurate and that could hinder one's learning experience severely. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete