Saturday, October 17, 2009

Blog #6


I critiqued my PowerPoint 1 assignment by using the rubric in chapter 8 for middle school/high school users of presentation software. I thought that I would receive an excellent (3) in the writing column because all of my spelling and grammar is correct. The next criterion is content, which I would give myself another 3 because all of my examples and slides are accompanied by an image and explanation. In the screen design criteria, I would also give myself a 3. I thought that I followed all of the screen design guidelines listed by the teacher very well. I thought that all of the fonts were easy to read on each slide. Also, each slide was very aesthetic in regard to layout. The picture above is an example of the layout of one of the slides. Finally, the last criterion was development of presentation. I would also give myself a 3 in this category because each slide had good information on it, yet I did not put all of the information on the slide, I put some of it on the slide notes so that I would be more prepared for the presentation. Overall, I followed all the rules that the teacher gave us and I think that according to the concepts on this rubric, I would receive a 3 in all of the categories.

I would integrate peripherals and non-computer audio-visual technologies in my classroom by using cameras and speakers. I could take pictures of things and place them around the room to help with students' memories of certain concepts. For example, if they are learning about the atmosphere, I could put pictures around the room or on a bulletin board of each atmosphere layer so they it would set into their head everytime they saw it. I could also use a copier or scanner to produce more of a certain item. For example, making copies of a test. I could incorporate these non-computer audio-visuals with computer based technologies by taking the pictures that I took with the camera and putting them on the computer into a PowerPoint presentation. Then, I could present them to class instead on placing them on a bulletin board.

Last week in class we learned all about PowerPoint. I think that all of the skills we learned were extremely helpful. Using PowerPoint is a great way to convey information to the students. I thought that the animations and transitions were good for the presentation because then you could select when you wanted to information to pop up. Also, I liked how you could put side notes on the presentation, so that its easier to present it to the class. For example, you wouldn’t have to read off of flash cards while presenting. Also, I loved that we not only learned to make educational presentations, but we saw how to make interactive quizzes for the students, as well as storybook presentations. I think the interactive quizzes will be helpful in my educational career because I plan on teaching elementary level students, so taking paper quizzes might loose their attention, and I think that interactive ones will keep them interested. I thought all of the PowerPoint tips that we learned last week were very helpful!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of integrating non computer audi-visual technology through the use of speakers and pictures. I think pictures are a great way to teach students because it'll grab there attention and visual images help everyone understand concepts better. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PowerPoint is a great tool for the classroom and very helpful for teachers. I think Teacher Notes are great when presenting because only the presenter can see them and it can help them to remember all the information they want to relay. Your PowerPoint looks great!

    ReplyDelete